Tuesday, March 3, 2009

109 Days and Counting...


-Breakfast: Whole wheat bagel and peanut butter, 2 cups of coffee.
-Lunch: Packet of oatmeal, peanut butter granola bar, package of fruit snacks, 2 pieces of fruit leather, Chex Turtle bar.
-Dinner: Teryaki turkey (leftovers) and mashed potatoes.
-Snacks: Handful of wheat thins with crab and cheese dip, 2 pieces of fruit leather, package of fruit snacks, 2 bottles of vitamin water.



-Training:
Swim, 30 minutes continous. 25 minutes at RPE 6 (started off with a 1:26 100, slowed it down to a 1:33 on my middle and last 100s), 5 minutes cool down RPE 3.


Bike, 1 hour 45 minutes. 90 minutes mix of big and small ring, trying to keep a solid cadence in all gears, roughly RPE 6. 15 minutes cool down, easy spinning. Took in 20oz. of Orange Gatorade.


Today was another jam packed exercise in time management!! FULL work schedule, and a big day of training to shoe horn in, while still not being a neglectful husband... I got the bike done indoors, watching Scrubs, Chelsea Lately, and How I Met Your Mother with Heather (who got in her and baby's training on the treadmill!!). That was nice, as I have really enjoyed training with her.


For those who don't know, she and I signed up for IM Florida 70.3 this past year (half-iron distance of 1.2, 56, 13.1), and got to do ALL our training together, and then completed the entire race together; 5 months of swim/bike/run, just what every marriage needs.... :-) It was a GREAT experience for me though, as we got to spend a ton of time together. It may sound a little silly, but with as much time as an average person spends working, driving to/from work, watching TV, sleeping, and taking care of personal business, you just don't get to spend THAT much quality time with friends and family. To have built in an additional 10 hours a week of training, plus car time to/from training, it really was awesome! She has always been a good sport with my routines, and will watch TV and talk with me while I'm on the bike, just like tonight. Plus she always smiles and looks interested when I talk about pacing, calories, speed work, and my sore biker-bum, even though she's heard the same stories dozens of times.


I think that through all of it, my most fond memory of that 70.3 training/racing experience was during the actual race... At mile 55 of the bike leg, things were going smoothly. She was maintaining about 16mph on the bike (well ahead of our needed pace), eating and drinking well, and looking great (as evidenced by all the male competitors who passed us, ignored me, and chatted her up). I pulled up along side to see how she was feeling, and she told me she would kill me if I ever asked her to do a full Ironman.... And she meant it.


I may be dumb enough to risk it, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment