Thursday, February 12, 2009

127 Days and Counting...

Above is the transition area in Lake Placid, in the Olympic Speed Skating Oval.

-Breakfast: 2 packets oatmeal, and one fiber one bar, 2 cups of coffee.
-Lunch: Cup of Ramen Noodles, handful of goldfish crackers.
-Dinner: Honey Wheat bagel with peanut butter.
-Snacks: 2 rice krispy treats, chips and salsa con queso, 1 piece of fruit leather, 1 package of fruit snacks.

-Training: REST DAY!!! I have a long run, swim, and bike coming in the next 3 days, so a good day to freshen up my legs. But, that means with no training to recap, I am forced to wax sentimental about racing again... Sorry. :-)


Someone asked me recently when I told them I was doing another race, if I expected to win. I laughed, because for those of you familiar with my race times, I am not considered a "podium threat." My fastest finish time, 14 hours 30 minutes in Coeur d'Alene, was more than 5 hours after the winner completed the race.

Yes, you read that right, 5 hours. I ain't fast.

But one of the really cool things about triathlon, and especially in long course races, is winning takes on a completely different meaning for everyone. My first race there was a competitor who was a double above-the-knee amputee. Other noteworthy finishers are: a blind man; a dad who finished with his quadraplegic son (towed him in a boat, rode tandem on the bike, and pushed him in a wheelchair on the marathon), and a man with Lou Gherig's disease (no use of his hands; see the video below, and tell me you can do it with dry eyes).

None of them came in 1st place, but did they win? Since they each swam 2.4 miles, biked 112, and ran 26.2, its hard to argue that they didn't...




No comments:

Post a Comment